Canon EOS 700D Review
The Canon EOS 700D(also known as the Kiss X7i in Japan or as the Rebel T5i in the Americas) is one of the best mid-level range models of all times. This is a new DSLR camera that is the best in Canon’s entry-level EOS lineup. This replaces the previous version model EOS 650D and predecessor of EOS 750D .Here we will go deep into all the features and why 700D is a impressive DSLR.
- 0 effective megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
- DIGIC 5image processor with 14-bit processing
- New EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM(short for stepping motor) kit lens
- 360° rotating shooting mode dial
- More Durable finish
- Ability to preview the effect of the “Creative Filters” in real time when composing shots in Live View mode
- Dual AF system which ensures sharp stills as well as continuous autofocus tracking when shooting movies
- A 1,040,000-dot vari-angle LCD screen complete
- Touch-screen operation
- A 63-zone metering sensor
- Standard ISO settings of 100-12800 (expandable to 25600)
- Video mode:
- 1080p Full HD recording at 24/25/30fps
- 720p HD capture at either 50 or 60fps/50fps
- 480p ED video recording at 30p and 25p
- 5fps continuous shooting
- 9 AF points, all cross-type at f/5.6. Center point is high precision, double cross-type at f/2.8 or faster
- 95% viewfinder frame coverage with 0.85x magnification
- 3.0-inch Vari-angle Clear View LCD II Touch screen with 1.04-megapixel resolution.
- 3.5 mm microphone jack for external microphones or recorders
The rivals for Canon 700D is Nikon D5200 and Pentax K-30.
The Nikon D5200 has a 39-point autofocus sensor, compared to the 700D’s nine points
The Pentax K-30 has a significantly larger viewfinder and dual command dials
Differences compared to EOS 650D:
- Real-time preview of Creative Filters in Live View mode
- Redesigned new mode dial that can rotate 360 degrees
- Textured body finish
Same as Canon 650D but now the Shooting Mode dial rotates 360°.
9-point All cross-type Auto Focus system
- Speedy , accurate,continous AF
- Improved AF With 9-point when shooting through viewfinder.
- For both Landscape and portrait position , cross – type AF system for accurate focus
- With AI Servo AF system, there is a consistent focus with high reliability
ISO 100-12800 and expandable to 25600
Because of its DIGIC 5 Image Processor, Canon 700D features ISO 100-12800 and expandable to 25600 helps to take a shot in low light situation without flash.
The ISO speed can be set from ISO 100 to ISO 12800 in full-stop increments.
In Custom Functions menu , if ISO Expansion is set on , then you can set it to ISO 25600 also
There is also an option to use Auto ISO and the chosen ISO settings are shown in viewfinder.
Creative filters during Live View Shooting
700D has 7 different types of Creative filters that can be used to change the visual effect of any particular scene.
Creative Filters include Toy Camera Effect, Grainy Black and White, Fish-eye Effect, Soft Focus, Miniature Effect, Art Bold Effect and Water Painting Effect
Soft Focus dramatizes an image and smoothes over any shiny reflections.
Grainy Black and White creates that timeless look
Toy Camera adds vignette and color shift
Miniature Effect makes a scene appear like a small-scale model, simulating the look from a tilt-shift lens
Filters can applied to both JPEG and RAW images after shooting , so one can try for several different effects for one shot.
A 1,040,000-dot resolution vari-angle LCD screen
The screen has an aspect ratio of 3:2 which is identical to sensor. Hence the images fill the screen completely and there is no black stripes on top or bottom.
700D supports multiple touch options such as pinching & swiping (just like one does for zoom in and zoom out in any tablet device), for selecting different shooting modes , for changing the settings , tracking the faces , setting auto focus points and also to focus and take photos in Live View Mode.
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens
This lenses help to keep the noise at a minimum level during focusing, which is especially useful when taking videos for image stabilization. Compared to other models, In canon the image stabilization is done through lenses, so provides better images when used with all range of lenses.
Creative Zone features
- Programmed Auto (P), Shutter Priority (Tv), Aperture Priority (Av), and Manual (M) modes
- The fully-automatic Scene Intelligent Auto mode analyses the scene in front of us and automatically picks the best settings.
- HDR Backlight-In this mode one can take 3 shots at different exposures and combine them into one with detailed shadows and highlights in the images.
- Hand-held Night scene mode-In this mode one can take multiple images at high shutter speed and combine them to produce sharp images.
White Balance Settings
- Following are White Balance available in 700D -Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent and Custom.
- No option to enter Kelvin value manually
- Impressive noise control
- Good video capture
- Responsive touch screen
- Lightweight body
- Limited AF points and buffer hamper action performance
- Body can feel a touch plasticky. It is a fairly small camera with a largely plastic shell and uncomfortable hand-grip.
- Not a big upgrade from 650D