Sony’s Cyber-shot W830 is a lowest priced point-and-shoot camera which is compact and has value for money.
- It has 8x optical zoom
- 20 Megapixel resolution
- Video with 720p resolution at 30 fps
- 25–200 mm F3.3 – F6.3 Zoom Lens
- Optical Image Stabilization
- 2.7″ Fixed Type Screen
- 1 fps continuous shooting
- 122g. 93 x 52 x 23 mm
The Sony Cyber shot W830 is mid-range camera that was first introduced in January 2014 , that has a 2.7 inch screen with 8x Carl Zeiss optical zoom lens and powerful BIONZ® processor and 20 Megapixel 1/2.3″ (6.17 x 4.55 mm ) sized CCD sensor
It can shoot 720p video and for this price it does not have 1080p video and WiFi.It also does not have any kind of manual exposure control but has scene detect Intelligence auto exposure.
It includes Sony’s smile shutter feature which takes a shot automatically when it finds a smiling face in the frame.
The maximum resolution you can get is 5152 x 3864. With an image aspect ratio of 4:3 and 16:9
The ISO ranges from 80-3200 with Auto ISO also available.
There is 7 presets for White Balance and also includes Custom White Balance.
Sony Cyber shot W830 is not good to be used for Portrait, Sports or Landscape Photography. For Street and Daily photography, it has Average rating.
Unfortunately Sony’s W830 doesn’t support RAW file format.
Design and controls
The Sony Cyber shot W830 is a Ultra compact sized camera which you can carry in your pocket and use it for any occasion. It has a weight of 122 g.
Though smaller W830 is rounded at either corner and has a flat top plate .It look is not that modern stylish. The top panel has flush mounted on-off button and it is silver colored with a silver strip that runs along the top-panel.
The button on the top panel when you click for half press to activate the auto-focus and exposure metering is very small
In the back panel you have thumb operated zoom button on top right. Below is a round shaped control menu pad which has delete, plackback and all the menus.
On the right side there is a sliding button which works as two mode switch. It has three positions
- Topmost Mode-used for current shooting mode, which is set using shooting menu.
- Middle Mode-This sets W830 in Sweep Panorama mode.
- Bottom Mode-for shooting movies.
W830 does not have movie record button. For shooting movies with switch in Movie mode position, one has to use shutter release to start and pause recording.
With 2.7 fixed screen 230k dots LCD Sony’s W830 displays photos in playback and shooting mode and the images are bright .There is a menu option to display a higher quality images.
For a fully charged battery one can take about 200-230 shots with the option set to standard mode.
The W830’s battery is charged in the camera either using the supplied charger (check) or by plugging it into a laptop. The W800’s USB / A/V out port is located on the base of the camera.
The W830 has a built in flash in the front side of the camera on the top right side. The maximum range at the wide angle settings of 3.2 meters, it captures the image brightly in low light mode but it is best for using for close subjects.
Lens and Stabilization
Sony’s W830 has 8x optical zoom equivalent to 25-200 mm range .for a super wide angle range, it is best to use for Panorama landscapes, group shots, interior and telephoto.
The lens aperture range of f3.3 to f6.3 at the telephoto end, W830 will be able to set a slightly lower ISO sensitivity which results in less noise.
Because the Sony W830’s is optically stabilized, while shooting hand held at slower shutter speeds , the lens still neutralize any camera movements and produce sharp images. The Sony’s W830 Optical SteadyShot is the feature that helps for the optical image stabilization and it is always on and can’t be turned off.
Sony‘s W830 shooting modes
Sony’s W830 has 4 type of shooting modes.
- Intelligent Auto Mode-This mode uses screen recognition to identify the subject and set the required scene mode. If the subject is stationary the camera uses more exposure time and if the subject is in motion it will use a faster shutter speed and increase the sensitivity to capture the movement.
- Program Auto Mode- this mode also sets the exposure automatically , but you have much more control on other settings like ISO sensitivity, exposure compensation, white balance, focus and metering modes for enhancing shadow and highlight detail
- W830’s SCN mode provides a choice of 11 scene modes including Soft skin, Portrait, Landscape, Night Scene, Gourmet and Beach
- The W830’s Picture Effects-Consists of Toy camera, Pop Color, Partial Color and Soft High-key effects. Partial color and Toy Camera has variants. Partial Color lets you select red, green blue or yellow and for Toy Camera there are Normal, Cool, Warm, Green and Magenta color options.
Sony W830 movie modes
The Cyber-shot W830 can shoot HD video at 720p/25/30 – the frame rate is dependent on the Video out mode – PAL or NTSC – selected in the setup menu. There’s also a 480p25/30 mode. The 720p HD mode is available in two quality settings, Fine and Standard. Both are encoded using the efficient H.264 codec and saved as a QuickTime file with a .mp4 extension. Movies are saved in a folder separate from JPEG photo files
- Image Stabilization
- Face Detection Focusing
- 0MP – High Resolution Sensor
- 122g Light Body
- 25mm Wide Angle Lens
- Panorama Shooting
- Slow Continuous Shooting: 1.0fps
- No Manual Focusing
- No Manual Exposure
- No Wireless Connection
- No External Flash Shoe
- No Full HD Video
- No Touch Screen
- No Built-in Viewfinder
- No RAW Shooting
- Max Sensitivity only ISO 3.200
Sony Cybershot W380 is a good camera for its price as it has 8x optical zoom with 20Megapixel .The images are very sharp for still photos and its has the option to take print in big sizes.
The movie quality is fine as long as you are okay with 720p.It doesn’t have movie record button but it provides two HD movie quality options which produces good effects.
The other advantages of using W830 is self timer and smile shutter options , Panaroma mode with 360 degree option.
It can be considered for those who have low budget but needs all the features mentione above.